- Bariatric surgery,
- Nutritional deficiencies,
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Michelle Silva Rocha, Durval Ribas Filho
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Nutrology based on the analysis of benefits and harms generated by the ingestion of nutrients and assessing individual organic needs promotes the maintenance of health and the reduction of disease risk, as well as the treatment of manifestations of deficiency or excess. Obesity is defined by a body mass index greater than 30 kg/m². Its manifestation is the sum of genetic and environmental factors, this through sedentary lifestyle and caloric intake greater than energy consumption. There are many ways to deal with obesity, from behavioral changes such as a balanced diet and physical exercises, pharmacological and even surgical measures of different modalities, with Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery being the most used technique in Brazil. The most common postoperative nutritional deficiencies are iron, protein, calcium, folate, thiamine, zinc, copper, and vitamins D, B12, A, C, and K. In this case, we present the importance of nutrology in monitoring patients after bariatric surgery. This research made use of a bibliographic survey, giving priority to articles dated from the last 5 years, using the databases Lilacs, Medline, bireme, where articles, dissertations, and theses were consulted, in search of the following keywords, obesity, bariatric surgery, and nutritional deficiency, post-bariatric feeding.
- World Health Organization. Factsheet: Obesity and overweight. November, 28, 2020. Avaiable in: http://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/obesity-and-overweight. Acessado em: 10-05-2021.
- Ministério da Saúde. (2014) Estratégias para o cuidado da pessoa com doença crônica, Cadernos de Atenção Básica.
- C.R. Puglia, Indicações para o tratamento operatório da obesidade mórbida, Revista da Associação Médica Brasileira, 50 (2004) 118-118.
- R.S. Linhares, B.L. Horta, D.P. Gigante, J.S. Dias-da-Costa, M.T.A. Olinto, Distribuição de obesidade geral e abdominal em adultos de uma cidade no Sul do Brasil, Cadernos de Saúde Pública, 28 (2012) 438-447.
- Duncan BB, Chor D, Aquino EML, Bensenor IM, Mill JG, Schmidt MI, et al. Chronic non-communicable diseases in Brazil: priorities for disease management and research, Revista de saúde pública, 46 (2012) 126-134
- N.P. Lima, B.L. Hort, J. V.D.S. Motta, M.S Valença, V. Oliveira, T.V.D. Santos, D.P. Gigante, F.C. Barros Evolution of overweight and obesity into adulthood, Pelotas, Rio Grande do Sul State, Brazil, 1982-2012, Cadernos de saude publica, 31 (2015) 2017-2025.
- L. Bahia, E.S.F. Coutinho, L.A. Barufaldi, G.A. Abreu, T.A. Malhão, C.P.R. Souza, D.V. Araujo, The costs of overweight and obesity-related diseases in the Brazilian public health system: Cross-sectional study, BMC public health, 12 (2012) 1-7.
- J.Y.F. Cordeiro, S.R.S. Freitas, Prevalência e fatores associados ao excesso de peso em uma população urbana do interior do Amazonas, Brasil, Revista Brasileira em Promoção da Saúde, 29 (2016) 533-543.
- N. Kanerva, I. Larsson, M. Pertonen, A. Lindroos, L.M. Carlsson, Changes in total energy intake and macronutrient composition after bariatric surgery predict long term weight outcome: finding from the Swedish Obese Subjects (SOS) Study, The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 106 (2017) 136-145.
- H. Balshem, M. Helfand, H.J. Schünemann, A.D. Oxman, R. Kunz, J. Brozek, G.E. Vist, Y. Falck-Ytter, J. Meerpohl, S. Norris, G.H. Guyatt, Grade guidelines: 3 ratng the quality of evidence. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, Journal of clinical epidemiology, 64 (2011) 401-406.
- J. Higgins, S. Green, (2011) Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions, Version 5.1.0, The Cochrane Collaboration.
- S. Bettini, A. Belligoli, R. Fabris, L. Busetto, Diet approach before and after bariatric surgery, Reviews in Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders, 21 (2020) 297-306.
- E.T. Aasheim, D. Hofso, J. Hjelmesaeth, K.I. Birkeland, T. Bohmer, Vitamin status in morbidly obese patients: A cross-sectional study, The American journal of clinical nutrition, 87 (2008) 362-369.
- P.W. Van Rutte, E.O. Aarts, J.F. Smulders, S.W. Nienhuijs, Nutrient deficiencies before and after sleeve gastrectomy, Obesity surgery, 24 (2014) 1639-1646.
- L.A. Peterson, L.J. Cheskin, M. Furtado, K. Papas, M.A. Schweitzer, T.H. Magnuson, K.E. Steele, Malnutrition in bariatric surgery candidates: Multiple micronutrient deficiencies prior to surgery, Obesity surgery, 26 (2016) 833-838.
- J.C. Kerns, C. Arundel, L.S. Chawla, Thiamin deficiency in people with obesity, Advances in nutrition, 6 (2015) 147-153.
- E. Aigner, A. Feldman, C. Datz, Obesity as an emerging risk factor for iron deficiency, Nutrients, 6 (2014) 3587-3600.
- S. Migliaccio, A. Di Nisio, C. Mele, L. Scappaticcio, S. Savastano, A. Colao, Obesity and hypovitaminosis D: causality or casualty?, International Journal of Obesity Supplements, 9 (2019) 20-31.
- J.I. Mechanick, R.F. Kushner, H.J. Sugerman, J.M. Gonzalez-Campoy, M.L. Collazo-Clavell, S. Guven, A.F. Spitz, Apovian CM, Livingston EH, Brolin R, Sarwer DB, Anderson WA, Dixon, American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, The Obesity Society, and American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery. Medical guidelines for clinical practice for the perioperative nutritional, metabolic, and nonsurgical support of the bariatric surgery patient, Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, 4 (2008) 109-184.
- J.I. Mechanick, A. Youdim, D.B. Jones, W.T. Garvey, D.L. Hurley, M.M. McMahon, L.J. Heinberg, R. Kushner, T.D. Adams, S. Shikora, J.B. Dixon, S. Brethauer, Clinical practice guidelines for the perioperative nutritional, metabolic, and nonsurgical support of the bariatric surgery patient–2013 update: Cosponsored by American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, The Obesity Society, and American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery, Obesity (Silver Spring) 21 (2013) 1-27.
- L. Aills, J. Blankenship, C. Buffington, M. Furtado, J. Parrott, Allied Health Sciences Section Ad Hoc Nutrition Committee, ASMBS Allied Health Nutritional Guidelines for the Surgical Weight Loss Patient, Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, 4 (2008) 73-108.
- L. Busetto, D. Dicker, C. Azran, R.L. Batterham, N. Farpour-Lambert, M. Fried, J. Hjelmesaeth, J. Kinzl, D.R. Leitner, J.M. Makaronidis, K. Schindler, H. Toplak, V. Yumuk, Practical recommendations of the obesity management task force of the European Association for the Study of Obesity for the post-bariatric surgery medical management, Obesity facts, 10 (2017) 597-632.
- F. L. Soares, L.B. De Sousa, C. Corradi-Perini, M. R. R. Da Cruz, M. G. J. Nunes, A.J. Branco-Filho, Food Quality in the Late Postoperative Period of Bariatric Surgery: an Evaluation using the Bariatric Food Pyramid, Obesity Surgery, 24 (2014) 1481-1486.
- Diretrizes Brasileiras de Obesidade, (2016) Associação Brasileira para o Estudo da Obesidade e da Síndrome Metabólica, Brasil.
- S.F. Yager, Role of the dietitian in a multidisciplinary bariatric program, Bariatric Nursing and Surgical ln Patient Care, 3 (2008) 107-16.
- J.W. Drover, R. Dhaliwal, L. Weitzel, P.E. Wischmeyer, J.B. Ochoa, D.K. Heyland, Perioperative use of arginine-supplemented diets: a systematic review of the evidence, Journal of the American College of Surgeons, 212 (2011) 385-399.
- J.I. Mechanick, A. Youdim, D.B. Jones, W. Timothy Garvey, D.L. Hurley, M. Molly McMahon, L.J. Heinberg, R. Kushner, T.D Adams, S. Shikora, J.B. Dixon, S. Brethauer, Clinical practice guidelines for the perioperative nutritional, metabolic, and nonsurgical support of the bariatric surgery patient–2013 update: cosponsored by American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, the Obesity Society, and American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery, Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, 9 (2013) 159-191.
- V.L. Moizé, X. Pi-Sunyer, H. Mochari, J. Vidal Nutritional pyramid for post-gastric bypass patients, Obesity surgery, 20 (2010) 1133-1141.
- L.A. Bordalo, T.F.S. Teixeira, Bressan, J., & Mourão, D. M. Cirurgia bariátrica: como e por que suplementarBariatric surgery: how and why to supplement, Revista da Associação Médica Brasileira, 57 (2011) 113-120.