- Immediate dental implant,
- Dental extraction,
- Minimally traumatic extraction,
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Luciana Fortes Tosto Dias, Eduardo Costa Figueiredo Passos, Álvaro José Cicareli
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Introduction: In the scenario of extraction associated with immediate implantation in the aesthetic area, tooth extraction is common in the daily clinical practice of the dentist, with the main causes of caries, periodontal disease, and coronal-radicular fractures. All extractions must be performed with precise indication, given defined prosthetic planning, thus avoiding an imbalance in the occlusion, swallowing, and aesthetics of the patient. Objective: To carry out a systematic review on the main approaches to extraction associated with immediate implantation in the aesthetic area. Methods: Followed a systematic review model (PRISMA). The search strategy was carried out in the PubMed, Embase, Ovid, Cochrane Library, Web Of Science, and Scopus databases. The quality of the studies was based on the GRADE instrument and the risk of bias was analyzed according to the Cochrane instrument. Results: A total of 134 studies were found that were submitted to the eligibility analysis and, after that, 41 studies of high to medium quality and with risks of bias were selected that do not compromise the scientific basis of the studies. According to the main literary findings, the use of the technique of installing immediate implants, after extraction, requires planning and care in the management of soft tissues, to correct aesthetic sequelae. The use of precise and minimally traumatic techniques enabled satisfactory and functional aesthetic results, as well as improving the patient's aesthetics and self-esteem. Conclusion: The immediate implant placement procedure after tooth extraction preserves bone height and thickness, reduces treatment time and cost, in addition to maintaining the gingival architecture, being important for the aesthetic success of future prosthetic rehabilitation. Also, it presents success rates comparable to implants in fully healed edges, the extraction must be done in a minimally traumatic way, to preserve the maximum bone tissue. The horizontal defects present after the installation of the immediate implant (gaps), if they are less than or equal to 3mm, will heal with complete bone filling. However, if they are larger than 3mm, bone graft material and/or membrane should be used so that there is bone healing.
- B. Suprakash, A. Y. Ahammed, A. Thareja, R. Kandaswamy, N. Kumar, S. Bhondwe, Knowledge and attitude of patients toward dental implants as an option for replacement of missing teeth, The journal of contemporary dental practice, 14 (2013) 115-118.
- S.D.C.S. Sardinha, P.R.L. Viana, E. Azoubel, B.R.G. Pinheiro, Levantamento epidemiológico realizado na clínica de cirurgia bucal, Revista Odonto Ciência, 21 (2006) 227-231.
- G.G. Zafiropoulos, A. Kasaj, O. Hoffmann, Immediate implant placement in fresh mandibular molar extraction socket: 8-year results, A case report. Journal of Oral Implantology, 36 (2010) 145-151.
- D. Saund, T. Dietrich, Minnimally invasive tooth extraction doorknobs and strings revisted, Dental Update, Dental update, 40 (2013) 325-330.
- E. Muska, C. Walter, A. Knight, P. Taneja, Y. Bulsara, M. Hahn, M. Desai, T. Dietrich, Atraumatic vertical tooth extraction: a proof of principle clinical study of a novel system, Oral surgery, oral medicine, oral pathology and oral radiology, 116 (2013) 303-310.
- H.P. Hornig, T. Offermann, Implant preparation: atraumatic tooth extraction using easy X Trac system tooth extractor, Dental Products Report, 7 (2005) 68-69.
- C.E. Misch, (2000) Implantes dentários contemporâneos, Santos, São Paulo.
- H.W. Denissen, W. Kalk, Preventive implantations, International dental journal, 41 (1991) 17-24.
- D.A. Gelb, (1991) Alteration of protocol to enhance esthetic and functional results of osseointegrated implants, In Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Periodontology.
- S.L. Wheeler, R.E. Vogel, R. Casellini, Tissue preservation and maintenance of optimum esthetics: a clinical report, International Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Implants, 15 (2000) 265-271.
- L. Schropp, L. Kostopoulos, A. Wenzel Bone healing following immediate versus delayed placement of titanium implants into extraction sockets: a prospective clinical study, International Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Implants, 18 (2003) 189-199.
- J. Lindhe, T. Karring, (2005) E LANG, NP Tratado de Periodontia Clínica e Implantologia Oral, Guanabara Koogan S, Rio de Janeiro.
- B. Wagenberg, S.J. Froum, A retrospective study of 1925 consecutively placed immediate implants from 1988 to 2004, International Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Implants, 21 (2006) 71-80.
- B.E. Becker, W. Becker, A. Ricci, N.A. Geurs prospective clinical trial of endosseous screw-shaped implants placed at the time of tooth extraction without augmentation, Journal of Periodontology, 69 (1998) 920-926.
- D.A. Gelb, Immediate implant surgery: three-year retrospective evaluation of 50 consecutive cases, International Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Implants, 8 (1993) 388-399.
- M.A. Bianchini, (2000) O passo a passo cirúrgico na Implantodontia: da instalação à prótese, Santos.
- R. Adell, U. Lekholm, B. Rockler, P.I. Branemark, A 15-year study of osseointegrated implants in the treatment of the edentulous jaw, International journal of oral surgery, 10 (1981) 387-416.
- J.C. Kois, J.Y. Kan, Predictable peri-implant gingival aesthetics: surgical and prosthodontic rationales, Pract Proced Aesthet Dent, 13 (2001) 691-698.
- D. Moher, A. Liberati, J, Tetzlaff D.G. Altman, The PRISMA Group, Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses: The PRISMA Statement, PLoS Medicine, 6 (2009).
- H. Balshem, M. Helfand, H.J. Schünemann, A.D. Oxman, R. Kunz, J. Brozek, G. E. Vist, Y. F. Ytter, J. Meerpoh, S. Norris, G. H. Guyatt, Grade guidelines: 3 ratng the quality of evidence, Journal of clinical epidemiology, 64 (2011) 401-406.
- J. Higgins, S. Green, (2011) Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions, Version 5.1.0, The Cochrane Collaboration.
- R. Farina, L. Trombelli, Wound healing of extraction sockets, Endodontic Topics, 25 (2011) 16-43.
- M.H. Amler, The time sequence of tissue regeneration in human extraction wounds, Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, 27 (1969) 309-318.
- M.H. Amler, P.L. Johnson, I. Salman, Histological and histochemical investigation of human alveolar socket healing in undisturbed extraction wounds, The journal of the american dental association, 61 (1960) 32-44.
- L. Trombelli, R. Farina, A. Marzola, L. Bozzi, B. Liljenberg, J. Lindhe, Modeling and remodeling of human extraction sockets, Journal of clinical periodontology, 35 (2008) 630-639.
- C.I. Evian, E. S. Rosenberg, J.G. Coslet, H. Corn, The osteogenic activity of bone removed from healing extraction sockets in humans, Journal of Periodontology, 53 (1982) 81-85.
- Thomé, G. et al. Indicações e limitações do uso do extrator dentário. J. ILAPEO, [S. l.], v. 6, n. 2, p. 85-88, abr./maio 2012.
- A. S. Nogueira, B.C. do Egito Vasconcelos, R. Frota, Á.B. Cardoso, (2006) Orientações pós-operatórias em cirurgia bucal, Revisão De Literatura, 1-6
- M. Salomao, F.K. Alvarez, J.T.T. Siqueira, Regeneracao óssea guiada em defeitos extensos pós-exodontias utilizando membrana exposta ao meio bucal, ImplantNews, 7 (2010) 753-759.
- A.A. Oghli, H. Steveling, Ridge preservation following tooth extraction: a comparison between atraumatic extraction and socket seal surgery, Quintessence International, 41 (2009) 605-609.
- E. Regev, J. Lustmann, R. Nashef, Atraumatic teeth extraction in bisphosphonate-treated patients, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery, 66 (2008) 1157-1161.
- L. Schropp, A. Wenzel, L. Kostopoulos, T. Karring, Bone healing and soft tissue contour changes following single-tooth extraction: a clinical and radiographic 12-month prospective study, International Journal of Periodontics & Restorative Dentistry, 23 (2003) 213-323.
- H. Dym, A. Weiss, Exodontia: Tips and Techniques for Better Outcomes, Dental Clinics, 56 (2012) 245-266.
- A. Oliveira, J. Souza, G. Thomé, A. C. Melo, I. Sartori, Implante imediato unitário em função imediata–relato de caso, Revista da Faculdade de Odontologia-UPF, 13 (2008) 70-74.
- C.A.A. Babbush, New atraumatic system for tooth removal and immediate implant restoration, Implant dentistry, 16 (2007) 139-145.
- D.R. Meneses, Exodontiaatraumática e previsibilidade em reabilitação oral com implantes osseointegráveis: relato de casos clínicos aplicando o Sistema Brasileiro de Exodontia Atraumática Xt Lifting®, Revista portuguesa de estomatologia, Medicina Dentaria e cirurgia maxilofacial, 50 (2009) 11-17.
- S.J. Jayme, P.R. Ramalho, L.D. Franco, R.E. Jugdar, J.A. Shibli, M.A. Vasco, Análise 3D por elementos finitos e descrição de dois casos clínicos sobre o uso de extrator dentário vertical para diminuir o trauma ósseo, ImplantNews, 10 (2013) 193-200.
- M. Paolantonio, M. Dolci, A. Scarano, D. d'Archivio, G. Di Placido, V. Tumini, A. Piattelli, Immediate implantation in fresh extraction sockets. A controlled clinical and histological study in man, Journal of periodontology, 72 (2001) 1560-1571.
- R.D.L. Franceschi, L. Drechsel, G. Schuldt Filho, Application of Immediate Dentoalveolar Restoration in Alveolus Compromised with Loss of Immediate Implant in Esthetic Area, Case reports in dentistry, (2018).
- C. Clauser, N.M. Sforza, I. Menini, Z. Kalemaj, J. Buti, Collaborators of Accademia Toscana di Ricerca Odontostomatologica (ATRO) IPI Group, Immediate Postextraction Single-Tooth Implants and Provisional Crowns in the Esthetic Area: 2-year Results of a Cohort Prospective Multicenter Study- Patient-Centered Outcomes, International Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Implants, 35 (2020) 833-840.
- F. Mastrangelo, G. Gastaldi, R. Vinci, G. Troiano, L. Tettamanti, E. Gherlone, L.L. Muzio, Immediate Postextractive Implants With and Without Bone Graft: 3-year Follow-up Results From a Multicenter Controlled Randomized Trial, Implant dentistry, 27 (2018) 638-645.